Sunday, April 18

Why do bad things happen to good people?

Why would a God, who is all loving, allow bad things to happen to good people? If we are his children, why does he allow horrible, awful, tragic things to come into our lives? This is something I've always struggled with.. especially after my uncle Deano died. He died in 2006 (at 37), suddenly of a heartattack. He left behind a wife of 17 years, a 10 year old daughter, and an 8 year old son. I was so angry at God. WHY!!? Why would you rip this person from our lives so suddenly? I was so angry at God. I still miss Deano so much and think about him so often. He spoke so much wisdom in my life, I wish he were still here to help me and make me laugh. I wrote this letter to him, just a day or so after he died.

----------------------------------------------

Dear Deano-
I remember the last time I saw you, Philip and I were leaving my house to fly to our honeymoon in Jamaica. I wish I would have known it would be the last time I would see you in this life, I wish I knew it would be the last hug I ever got from you.

I remember the last email I sent you. It was filled with happiness and excitement after Philip and I returned home. We talked about how soon it would be when you and your family came back to Oklahoma.

I don't think I ever told you how amazing you were.
You lived a life that was such a fantastic example of Christ to everyone around you, including me.
I didn't get to see you as much as I wanted in your lifetime.
Ever since I was born, you've always been away fighting wars and saving our country :-)
You were going to retire in 3 short years and move back to Oklahoma. I wish that time had come.


Your marriage has always been one I hope Philip and I can attain.
The night before I was married, I remember you taking Philip and I aside to tell us of the struggles you'd faced in your marriage and offered us such valuable advice. "Always keep God at the center of your marriage." I will never stop reading the books that you gave us that night. I will never stop living that advice.


I promise to you that Lindsey and Zachariah will be well taken care of. They are
such amazing kids and I promise to be an example (like you were to me) to them.


You were only 37. Why did God take you now?
It's hard to understand why, but we have to remember everything is a part of his will.
It's so hard.
Could you ask Him to help us? We're struggling down here without you, Deano.
What is it like in Heaven? Is it a million times better than we imagined?! Say hi to grandma and grandpa for me.


And, don't worry, you know I wouldn't make this letter ALL mushy. I wore my OU shirt yesterday for you and for the game. (We won) I'll always think of you when I watch any OU game. BOOMER SOONER!

I'll see you soon.
Love,
- Tavia
---------------------------------------------------------

The thing is, we don't want God to be fair. Fairness would be for us to pay for our own sins. Fair would be for us to spend eternity in Hell. We are evil, and God is pure. Fair would be for us to be separated from Him, forever.

Praise Jesus that God is gracious. Thankfully we have an "unfair" God who allows us to be saved, in grace, by Jesus! The things of this earth are only temporary, He is forever.

The question really is, "Why do GOOD things happen to (us) BAD people." Thank you Jesus.

1 comment:

iluvshoes said...

The last line is a good way to look at it. Thankfully we do have someone who loved us so much that he was willing to die for our sins even though we don't deserve it. Keep your head up girlie! Praying for you.